Before starting the engine, the following checks and procedures must be followed:
1. Ensure fuel oil and Service and Settling tanks are at correct levels, Purifiers are operational and temperatures maintained to the required values.
2. Ensure fuel oil circulating and booster pumps are running and the fuel oil temperatures in maintained.
3. Ensure jacket water cooling pump is operational, level in the expansion tank is satisfactory and JCW temperature maintained to about 65-70 C.
4. Keep the lubricating oil pump for piston, bearings and camshaft running and check the sight glasses for oil flow.
5. Check the oil levels in main engine sump and turbochargers.
6. Ensure the lubricating oil purifier running.
7. Check the Steering gear by operating from port to starboard on each pump in turn, then with two pumps running.
8. Start the main gearbox lubricating oil pump (if applicable) and check pressures and oil levels.
9. Start stand by generator and connect to the switchboard.
10. Operate the cylinder lubricators and turn the main engine on turning gear while keeping the indicator cocks open.
11. Drain the main air receivers of any water.
12. Start the stern tube lubricating oil pump (if applicable) and check the header tank levels.
13. Open the main air receiver valve and main air starting valve.
14. Ensure all main air compressors are ready for use and on stand by.
15. Set the auxiliary blower to automatic.
16. Blow over the engine on air keeping the indicator cocks open.
17. When turbochargers have integral pumps, check through the sight glasses that they are supplying oil.
18. Close the indicator cocks, air cooler drain, turbocharger drain.
19. Engines should be tried out in ahead and astern direction.
20. Inform Bridge main engine is ready for use and put the engine on Bridge Control.
Slow Down and Shut Down Alarms :
Shut Down Alarms :
1. Overspeed ( normally 107% of MCR)
2. Low lub oil pressure (1.3 bar)
3. Jacket water high temperature (95 deg C)
4. Thrust block high temperature (90 deg C)
5. Low camshaft lub oil pressure (1.5 bar)
Slow down alarms :
1. Low lub oil pressure (1.5 bar)
2. Low camshaft lub oil pressure (2.0 bar)
3. Thrust block high temperature (80 deg C)
4. Piston coolant no flow
5. Scavenge air high temperature (70 deg C)
6. Oil mist detection high
7. Cylinder exhaust temperature high (450 deg C)
8. Piston coolant outlet high temperature (75 deg C)
9. Jacket water high temperature (90 deg C)
10. Lub oil inlet temperature high (60 deg C)